Tuesday 2 October 2007

Item 2: London Galleries (For Free)

Location: London City

Finances only stretch so far before the home currency stops looking so sturdy, as you glimpse at the diminishing bottom line of your bank balance, when setting up in London. Luckily my extremely generous friend offered me more than a couch - half of her double bed and her home - as I took to the task in search of a new job and flat as soon as I arrived in town. (Note: Dossing rates may apply).

In the mornings, I've hopped on to the Internet job sites to send my CV off to the half-interesting roles I can actually do, followed with some calls to a few agencies (one of whom would continuously remind me to come to the company's drinks evening), and have then been free for a regular dose of daytime TV.

But before I jump right back into the rat-race, I've also found plenty of free things to see in London. Still wearing my tourist shoes, the museums and galleries with FREE admission are plentiful throughout the city. Moreover, the collections housed are so amazingly grand you're likely to spend an afternoon there only to exit with the need to see more.

The first place I walked into was the British Museum, immediately thinking the English had the whole of Egypt transported across the seas and reassembled it inside the building. The Tate Modern brings another contrast to the art world and one which I will be surely revisiting, especially with the changing temporary exhibitions in the gallery's Turbine Hall. For the classical art appreciators, the National Gallery is sure to be a winner, whilst the Victoria and Albert Museum is a hotch-potch of the classic and contemporary all mixed up in one. There's so much more in this realm that I have yet to see and explore, but what's that I hear? Do I hear the mighty Pound Sterling calling my name?

Item 2: London Galleries? Check!

No comments: