Thursday 13 December 2007

Item 15: I Knit London.... Yes I do!

Location: I Knit London, 13 Bonnington Square, Vauxhall, SW8 1TE

Let's start at the beginning. I'd met new friend through a friend who modelled her warm and cosy beanie at a party, only to be told that it wasn't to be found at any high street store but in fact she had made it herself. "Come along to my knitting club".

Meetings are held by the club twice a week, one night at the I Knit London store and the alternate night at a Pub. More importantly the shop also has a liquor licence which ensures Each gathering welcomes you with a lovely equilibrium of social knitting and alcohol.

The idea of knitting anything more than a few rows to begin a quilters square has always been an deluded concept to me, (and my short attention span). But the lovely members who exhibited their quick knit scarves and intricatly detailed socks and gloves all boosted my enthusiasm to create something big.

Purchasing a giant ball of wool and a pair of needles, I struggled to cast on to start any stitches. It was game over. Time for a cider. But no, the team gave me a helping hand and taught me some hints and tricks that had me knitting like my Granny in no time.

As the ladies compared their crafts and pondered over the practicalities of a knitted woollen bikini, cakes and biscuits were served to warm us further through the evening. By the end of the night, I was happy with my first knitting efforts in London and had enjoyed a good ol' yarn with some friendly crafty London folk.

Item 15: I Knit London? Check!

No comments: