Tuesday 2 March 2010

Item 60: Darwin - More Sunshine!

Location: Darwin, Australia

The coldest winter in the UK for 31 years! I’m getting as much warmth as I can before I head back – Darwin here I come!

In the 33 degree heat, the humidity didn’t hit me as hard as I’d expected when I exited Darwin Airport just after midnight on my four-hour Jetstar flight direct from Melbourne.

It’s the wet season in the Northern Territory. The houses are built to withstand the cyclones and today they appear torrential rain-proof too. The folks ‘down South’ apparently just don’t know what a real storm is! The short down-pour in the morning has decreased the temperature a few degrees, and I’m enjoying being outside by the pool just chillin’ with the geckos in the yard.

This city reminds me of a little country town, homes with corrugated iron roofing; people hanging about in shorts and t-shirts, enjoying life; a local shopping mall that’s been left behind in the 80’s and it’s all viewed with a tinge of red-desert coloured glasses.

This visit is my summer holiday, (except I’ve been warned about visiting the beach because of the crocs and jellyfish). But hey, it's the temperature's in double digit territory and today sunshine is my friend.

Item 60: Darwin
? CHECK!

No comments: