Tuesday 15 June 2010

Item 69: Powderfinger

Location: Brixton Academy, London

I haven't bought a Powderfinger CD since Vulture Street was released in 2003. I was offered a second chance to see them on their Farewell tour when their April shows were postponed to June.

So off I went to the sticky floors of the Brixton Academy on June 4, Powderfinger played to their London-based Aussie crowd for about an hour. It seems that they haven't broken through to the real 'local' market in all the years but have had a loyal antipodean fan base. Go Aussie!

Though the opening songs were too new to me, the band warmed up and played some more familiar tunes off the Internationalist and Odyssey No 5 albums. Finishing with Bernie on the keyboard with their 1999 Triple J hottest 100 single These Days, reliving the music that got me through high school.

Item 69: Powderfinger? CHECK!

No comments: