Tuesday 9 November 2010

Item 74: Mimco - The Failed Ambassador

Location: London, United Kingdom

Dear Managing Director of
Mimco,

As one of the thousands of Australians living in the UK, I always feel privileged to be able to represent home and "buy Australian made".

I was very excited to be the recipient of the Mimco 'Viking Day Pouch' handbag in April, purchased from the House of Fraser in London's busy Oxford Street. Not only was it a funky bag, but I was supporting home-grown talent and helping to keep Australian jobs.

Disappointingly, I had to return the bag after a month as the leather ribbing on the edges began to wear. I exchanged the bag to the 'upgraded' design of the same style, thinking that surely the earlier defects would have been addressed before a new version was released. I was ever so careful with my new accessory but again, the ribbing began to wear after a month. Being in love with my new-new bag, as many girls are, I made the conscience decision to live with the known deficiency.

My heart sank today as I discovered an extreme point of structural weakness in the bag that is unable to be overlooked. The perforations in the texture of the leather are at a point of major strain and a hole has broken through.

What's a girl to do with a five-month-old "designer Australian" handbag that's falling to pieces? Moreover, how can she promote Aussie talent abroad when the goods just don't make the grade?

It's not that I'm asking for Mulberry quality, I just want something that I can hold up proudly on the global platform. With two handbangs tarnished in less than a year, I'm sorry Mimco, the Aussies are all out for a duck on this one.

Kind regards,

Jane

Item 74: Mimco? CHECK!

No comments: