Wednesday 16 March 2011

Item 79: Brussels and Brugge

Location: Brussels and Brugge, Belgium

With a need for a cruisey holiday, I found a really good deal via the Eurostar website with a two night stay in a five star hotel. The plan was to laze about and eat mussels in Brussels. In the middle of winter, comfort food was definitely required.

A nice and easy check-in at Kings Cross St Pancras and on to my beloved train to take me across the English Channel, popping out the other end at Brussels Midi.

Having been to Brussels before, it was nice to find the city very familiar. I spent a day exploring the main city, saying 'hello' again to the Mannekin Pis and savouring my first waffle of the tour.

The city itself was covered in snow, so an indoor visit to the Belgian Comic Strip Center to find Tin Tin and Papa Smurf waiting for me was really heartwarming. I love finding childhood heroes in foreign countries.

With time on my hands, I hopped onto a train to Brugge for a day trip to walk around the Burg and the city hall. There I ate a giant pot of mussels in a local haunt off the main street and wandered the village along the canals, window shopping at the brightly lit chocolate displays.

A most casual visit to the continent but a two hour journey on my favourite mode of travel in Europe, this short break was just what I needed.

Item 79: Brussels and Brugge? CHECK!

No comments: