Sunday 19 June 2011

Item 86: Udderbelly Festival - Wil Anderson

Location: Jubilee Gardens, Southbank, London

In what is a magical set-up of an up-turned cow along the southbank of London, I went along to the Udderbelly Festival on a drizzly Friday evening to see, who was once my favourite breakfast talk-show host, Wil Anderson. I'd seen him at the Melbourne Comedy Festival in the year before I left Australia and was keen to have another enjoyable night out.

Entering the tent via a decked path illuminated by lanterns and fairy lights, the venue has been noted down as somewhere to hang out with a glass of Pimms, if summer does arrive in London this year.

As the show was free seating, I arrived 15 minutes before the start and my ears were pierced with the Australian accent left, right and centre. But, that should have been a given as Wil is a well-loved comedian from home.

Although I admit I expected the same substance and quality that I saw in his "Wil of God" performance, which generally leads to disappointment I came out of the night wondering if it was the same person I'd seen five years ago. In addition, maybe my tastes have changed since moving to London and seeing a number of other comedians on the circuit. There were moments of laughter and it wasn't as bad as one heckler bluntly laid out, 'You're boring the crap out of me mate'.

With many other shows planned in the tent including another personal favourite, the 'Fitzrovia Radio Hour', I'd definitely recommend that udderbelly is well worth a visit this summer.

Item 86: Udderbelly Festival? CHECK!

No comments: