Sunday 17 July 2011

Item 89: Greenwich Market - Sika Boutique

Location: Greenwich Market, London

Revisiting the markets from four years ago, the intriguing odds-and-ends on sale have now been overtaken by stalls thrifting standard imports from south-east Asia at ridiculous margins.

Luckily my favourite little find - Greenwich Market - is still bustling with a good selection of locally made food, fascinator stands and handy crafts contained in an under cover square. I've crossed the city of London a number of times to visit, via Thames ferry to approach Cutty Sark by river level and also DLR on weekends when the train line has been free of weekend engineering work.

Tucked in the corner of the square is Sika Boutique (Cherry Picked) run by the lovely Phyllis Taylor whose designs flatter everyone looking for something unique and not on the standard high-street, sold at a resonable price. Each time I've visited the store, one of my girlfriends or I have made a purchase. The dresses are tailored with a 1950's flare and made in Ghana, using their local materials and prints.

I attended a wedding recently and needed a dress in the style of 'Sunday Best'. I fell in love with one of the designs but the problem was it was a bit 'black' for a happy occasion. The lovely ladies at the store offered to have it made for me and helped me pick out navy waxed cotton and complementary lace from their samples book. Confidence I wouldn't show up in the same outfit as anyone else, it was really refreshing to find friendly service and the team even raced the dress from Ghana to London the weekend before the event so everything went well for me on the day - and I wasn't even the bride.

I can not recommend this store enough, and it's no surprise their success has them moving to a nearby location next month.

Let's hope that the weekend transportation challenge of getting to Greenwich Market remains that extra barrier for entry so it can maintain it's niche products and friendly store owners for a little bit longer.

Item 89: Greenwich Market?
CHECK!

3 comments:

Liew Jun Yan said...

Hey, I just came across your blog again when I search for something else in Google. Great to see that you are still travelling around, visiting a lot of fabulous places!

Take care and stay healthy!

If you do have facebook, do add me at liewjunyan@gmail.com.

Mai said...

Very well said about Sika. Please show me your custom made dress :)!!

I bought this dress with you remember ;)

http://www.mailintalks.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/mai_kindle.jpg

Jane on a Plane said...

Thanks Guys!

Mai - your dress is still the iconic Sika design! It only shows that they're timeless :)