Thursday 26 February 2009

Item 41: Homesick

Location: London

Two weeks ago, I bought my first ever jar of Vegemite. Now don’t get me wrong I, like every other true blue, grew up on the stuff. It’s just that every other time it’s been my Mum buying or my mate, Judes, who gave it to me as a farewell gift before I left Australia.

To go with the Veg, I brought a block of Australian Mature Cheddar. Nothing beats a cheese and Vegemite sandwiche in times of need. Last Friday, I bought a packet of ANZAC biscuits.

Yes folks, I am homesick. It’s the strangest feeling as through all my travels over the years, I have never really missed home.

Am I a product of the real strategy behind British High Commission's work permit scheme? One that forces you to wait and wait and wait for your new visa in your 'home country'. How conniving, as during this time of waiting, a recession is declared in the UK, the job market dries up, the interest rate on your savings drops to below 1 per cent and the winter grows colder and darker.

Meanwhile happy times are had in the Land Down Under as the sun comes out, you’re catching up with friends and family, eating awesome food, going to barbeques, talking of friend’s engagements and weddings and there’s general frivolity all ‘round.

With 2,700 Australians leaving the UK each month, I’m trying my best at the moment to not be one of them. Maybe I'll head out for some home remedies at the Australia Shop today.

Item 41: Homesick? CHECK!


No comments: