Friday 7 October 2011

Item 97: Hong Kong - food and markets!!!

Hong Kong Gold Fish Street
Location: Hong Kong 

I finally made it back to visit as was my intention during my last stopover in Hong Kong. Not much more was planned but to eat like a machine and shop like crazy. And that I did.

During the stay, my brunches were filled with dumplings from the dim sum restaurants en-route through the city to the next shopping destination. As I caught up with friends who lived locally and had recently visited Europe, at each meal came the question, 'Why is the food so bad in London?'

Having lived in the UK for the past four years it's still hit-and-miss for me to find a randomly good eatery at a decent price. So unfortunately I had no answer for them, but took their pity as they offered me the last dumpling on the table as I wouldn't "get anything this tasty for much longer".

I also made pit-stops to the fresh fruit markets around Times Square to pick up a pomelo, dragon fruit and guava to add some tropical elements to the holiday diet. This was counterbalanced by the supermarkets that offered peanut butter Oreo's, durian ice-cream, wasabi peas and 'essential Waitrose' (London's home-brand products), that were being sold as high-end British groceries. 

As for the shopping, Hong Kong is filled with many massive malls filled with luxury labels that the population of China's booming economy can't seem to get enough of. Look at the Burberry share price during the current double-dip recession. And then match it to the hoards of day-visitors from the mainland queuing outside the giant LV store. Other malls also have the equivalent high-street brands like Zara, H&M, Uniqlo which for me, are available in London. Consequently the markets took my interest for shopping ventures.

My hotel was based on the Kowloon side of the city this visit. Nice an close to Ladies Market (which sells clothing, not 'ladies'!), where I picked up some standard black leggings for HKD$30 = £2.40! Bargain!! 

The most interesting market during the evening was at Gold Fish Street - lined with pet stores with fish bagged and ready for sale under fluorescent street lights. Tiny turtles for the same price as my leggings were also on offer as were tea-cup dogs for a much higher price, bred no-doubt to fit into the tiny apartments of the bustling city. 

A completely fulfilling visit to the city and please note, no new pets were added to my shopping list.

Item 97: Hong Kong? CHECK

No comments: