Saturday 8 October 2011

Item 98: Dotonbori - Osaka

Dotonbori Glico Man
Location: Dotonbori, Osaka, Japan

Dotonbori is busy with tourists and lined with eateries including street vendours selling takoyaki (octopus balls), and the infamous fugu which is easily identified by a giant puffer fish suspended in the air. 

Visiting this area last week, memories of my visit to Japan in 1999 were recalled.  Along the Ebisubashi bridge suited up men in the midst of winter came up to me and my sister with their business cards each time we crossed. With the language barrier and being our first overseas trip, we weren't really sure what to do. We were young and innocent...and blushed our way past these "suitors".

So this time during my return visit the season was warmer, I thought myself a tad bit more worldly and ready to tackle the bridge. But this time - the men weren't so well dressed and they were handing out leaflets to restaurants! Could I have been so naive to think I was getting lots of expressions of interest back in the day?

Perhaps things have changed in 11 years but I've just done a little search online and the bridge has the nickname of nampa-bashi - "pick-up bridge", so let's leave my younger self to dream a little longer.... 

Item 98: Dotonbori? CHECK!

No comments: